Thursday, January 24, 2013

A quick color study and some sketches

Well hi there! After a crazy weekend and three painfully long school days this girl is ready for a break! All I want to do is curl up with my jamba juice and watch White Collar because, yes, that show is back on! This man is once again a part of my life!
I have been watching old episodes in preparation and let me tell you there is nothing sexier than a man who knows his art!

On a completely random note I watched the new King and Lionheart music video for Of Monsters and Men and although the artwork and character design was AMAZING...I was disappointed. Ok go ahead and hate me, but really how was that a good ending? I was so excited for that girl and who I can only assume is her brother to be reunited, but oh no he ends up crying in some weird spaceship and she is being hunted down by those creepy men. Sad day! I do not like the ending! What do you think? (here's a link because the video player is too small to post here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A76a_LNIYwE)

So, I have some sketches to show FINALLY! I admit to being the worst at showing you my stuff. First up some basic sketches for figure drawing. This class is amazing and I love every second, even if I'm not very good yet. We start off with gestures:


Then move on to blocking in the figure (pardon the smaller body shapes on the bottom-I took these photos from above and so they all look a little top heavy haha).

And for the last hour we work on a detailed line drawing.
Obviously I haven't nailed down proportion yet, but you know what that's why I'm in this class! By the end of it I am gonna be whippin out figures like nobody's business! We also do daily sketchbook assignments and this is one I am a bit proud of:

So there you have it! My progression so far is small, but I can feel the changes in my work and I am sure as the months go on I will get better and better. I also did a quick color study in watercolor today and thought I would share!
This was about a 45 min. painting; the drawing we did together as a class, each of us doing the same thing, then we were allowed to finish the project in our preferred palette. I used Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, and for that plum color a mix of Indian Red and Cerulean Blue. I think I really like how the colors worked and mixed together.

No comments:

Post a Comment