Sunday, December 2, 2012

Thoughts on Utah

Although I tend to rant about how much I dream of traveling the world some day, and how much I adore the Eastern coast and its history and style, I am grateful that I am from the lovely state of Utah. It doesn't get enough credit. I love that my roots are tied to the mountains and the deep rust colored, cactus filled, deserts! I love that I can drive for only a few hours and I am surrounded by red rock and green forests and beautiful canyon views. I love the dry heat in the summers, and the cold snowy winters; I love that I see things like hieroglyphs and Indian reservations, instead of old historic buildings; and most of all I love the wild wilderness. Last year my family took a trip to the geo-beds and found ourselves some geodes. Each year we take a trip to our cabin on Navajo lake and usually end up doing some hikes through Zion's national park (one of the most beautiful places you will ever see!). We also have a park called Goblin Valley that is filled with rocks, and that's why it's cool. Rocks folks. Seriously, I am one of the luckiest people alive! I get to live in a beautiful place that speaks to me and fills me with love for nature and God's creations. There is nothing better than that. And yes, sometimes I do still yearn for the beaches of North Carolina and Georgia, or long for the big cities of Chicago, New York City, and Los Angeles. But usually I am content with my little home in the rocky mountains of Utah. It's my home and always will be!
Our lovely little hand built cabin on Chokecherry Lane

Me, like 7 years ago, being brave, and rock hopping across Navajo Lake (funny story, once my dad said he would pay each of us $5 if we jumped into Navajo Lake-which is freezing cold by the way-and being the wild soul that I am I did it...fully clothed...twice!)

Strawberry point. One of my favorite view in Cedar City Utah
Totally a google image, but I don't have my old photo albums with me, so I couldn't share pictures of me and my brothers climbing these amazing rocks at Goblin Valley.

Fool's Creek. I didn't get to go on this little adventure, but seriously look at how beautiful the forests are here! My dad and brothers are so lucky to have gone!

I know you all have seen this before, but seeing this every day on Utah licence plates just makes me happy. Proud to live in a state with arches like these!

Zion's National Park. Yes, it really is this beautiful. No I didn't take the photograph-google helped me out once again. But, yes I have been to Zion's and I love love love it.
And finally...Angel's Landing! No way would you ever get me to do this hike! That is a sheer drop on both sides ma friends, and no joke at one point you literally pull yourself up the cliff with chains nailed into the rock-seriously, I kid you not, look it up on google. It is a beautiful hike in Zion's, but definitely one of the most dangerous and exhausting. Props to my amazing stud muffin brothers and daddio who hiked it for me! Hats off to you!

So yep, that would be Utah...or at least a few of the many highlights my lovely state has to offer. There are so many more beautiful places, but I have yet to explore them. So fellow Utahns, be grateful you live in this pretty place. Don't take it for granted. It has done me well and it will love you too if you let it. That's all for today folks. loves bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment