Friday, October 26, 2012

Rock me mama like a south-bound train

Well hi there! How about that 10 inches of snow yesterday huh? It went from fall to Christmas in a mere two hours. I just want to break out the christmas tree, holly, and my christmas mix CD's. See that's the problem with snow, it just gets me all excited for my all time favorite holiday that unfortunately is still two holidays away.

Anyways, two things to talk about today. First, I don't know about you, but I love (as in I can listen for six or seven hours straight day after day after day) folk music. Have any of you heard of Mumford and Sons? or Old Crow Medicine Show? These are two of my favorites, and let me tell you they make my soul happy. No joke, I can be sitting in bed crying my eyes out and I will play some Mumford and almost immediately I am wrapped in the warm blanket that is Marcus Mumford's voice. He has more passion in his voice than I have ever heard before and it makes me glad to be alive. Now don't be fooled, I love a lot of music, but I have learned that it is folk that I really really love to listen to. It speaks to my roots, brings back old memories, and just plain makes me want to pick up a harmonica or fiddle or something and play (not that I can play those instruments, but you know if I could play them I would). So, thank you Marcus Mumford for your terrific vocals and for the way you make me cry when I listen to your music on those lonely days, thank you Ben Lovett for your mad accordion skills, thank you Winston Marshall for your twangy banjo, and thank you Ted Dwane for your beautiful bass. And a big thank you to Old Crow for giving me the song Wagon Wheel. Please know that you have made my heart happy.

So, yesterday as I was once again singing along to these two great bands I decided to try a new style of watercolor. You may have noticed that my work tends to be quite tight and meticulous, however, I am trying to branch out. So, I looked up one of my favorite watercolor artists (known on the internet as dimdi) and painted some animals. No pre-drawings, no outlines, no thought, just music and paint. This is what happened:
I think I like it! It is really different for me, but I feel like I could perfect the style a little more and I would really love it. I could see a whole bunch of these in little white frames in a nursery or little boy's room. I don't know, maybe I will do a few more. Anyways, I think that's it for today. Bundle up and stay warm cuz baby it's cold outside! k loves bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment