Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Roy Lichtenstein

So the weather has reached the point where by the time I get to class I not only have frostbite and hypothermia, but I also want to throw up because my head is still spinning from the 100 mile an hour winds. It is not even November yet...in fact, it's not even Halloween yet. How am I already this cold?

So, I finally FINALLY got some pictures off of my phone from my trip to Chicago this summer! If you didn't know I had to chance to spend a week in a huge beautiful house in Old Town Chicago in July of this year, and while I was there I filled one of my days with the Art Institute. It was probably one of the most memorable experiences I have ever had, and I know this because I still carry my ticket stub around with me everywhere. It sits happily in my wallet bringing back good memories and inspiration. I got to see some of those paintings that I have been studying in Humanities and Art History classes my whole life. The original American Gothic? Saw it! Van Gogh? Saw it! Monet? Saw it? Serat? Totally saw it! I have never been around so much amazing artwork in  my life.

Now, guess what was on display at the Art Institute while I was there? A tribute to Roy Lichtenstein with over 70 of his original paintings. If you know me you know that I am a huge fan of Roy, his style, and all pop art in general. So, I almost had a heart attack when I saw the collection. I wish I could have taken pictures of all of it, but I did take a few pictures of some of his pieces that really inspired me. One room of the museum was filled with all of his paintings from his black and white series. I think I stayed in this room for over 20 minutes and most of my favorite pieces actually came from that room. Anyways, it was wonderful and really showed me just how big and beautiful I can make some of my future screenprints and blockprints. So thank you Roy Lichtenstein for being the amazing artist you are. You are pretty much my hero now.

My favorite of what I like to call Roy's Overly Dramatic Damsel In Distress paintings.
And here are two of my favorites from his black and white series. The yarn was my absolute favorite. I kept walking back over to look at it hahaha.

There were a few other paintings that I loved, but because the museum don't own them I wasn't able to take a picture, however I found some images of them online for you.


There is also one other in a book I bought of his paintings, so I will take a picture and post it tomorrow. I hope his work inspires you as much as it does for me! Have a wonderful warm day! k loves bye

No comments:

Post a Comment